Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Perfect Yard for Chickens

I think we have the most perfect yard for our free-ranging chickens. We have about a 3/4 acre backyard that is completely fenced and the perimeter is trees, trees, trees and lots of underbrush for the chickens to hide under and dead leaves for them to scratch in. They're ten weeks old and have been free-ranging for about 2 1/2 weeks now. They love it so much! When I go into the henhouse in the morning around 9:00, they're all waiting patiently in front of the pop-out door. I'm very selfish, though, and make them all pass through my petting hands before being allowed access to the outdoors. Kind of a Great Outdoors admission fee! However, there are still a few who won't give in to my coaxing and will wait even more patiently for me to get the heck out of the way! The elusive Louise, an Easter Egger, will not let me under any circumstances get hold of her. I'm not sure what I will do if I ever have to administer any kind of medication or dust for parasites.


Henry, my silver-laced Wyandotte rooster, has established that he is the big boss of his ladies. He's especially bossy to his chickmate, Henrietta. She is very submissive to him. It will be interesting to see his temperament when he reaches full maturity. If he gets too demanding, I may have to rehome him. I hope not, because he is such a handsome dude!




Here he is with Henrietta, being nice for a change.




Here's where the chickens all hang out when they aren't out in the yard.




A full view of the 20x30 foot barn. It was built by the previous owner from a barn he dismantled on another property. It has two floors. His original intent was to make the second story into a basketball court for his sons with salvaged hardwood flooring. He only made it as far as an oriented strand board floor, but we store lots of junk and furniture up there.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the tour of your yard. Your place looks so nice. I love the shade trees and I think your chooks do too. I think you have an ideal set up for free-range chickens and they look very healthy!